10.07.2011

10 Days in Dominica: Day 6





Tell about an "only in Dominica" moment.


Wow, I couldn't narrow this one down to just one... so I picked my top three favorite "only in Dominica" moments!


The first one some of you may remember... The attack of the HUGE KILLER SPIDER! Well maybe it wasn't really a killer spider, but it was HUGE! Read more about this story in this post!




Just look at the size of that monster! So GROSS!!



Second... Brown water! This is how our water looks after it rains. Though this picture shows it in my washing machine, it comes out of the kitchen sink and bathroom shower looking just like this! Water, anyone?



Third!!! Now to some of you this one may not be a big deal. But for those that know me, this was huge!... Drum roll please...


Fish Eyes and Brains... A Delicacy?!!!

When my parents came to visit, I asked my landlord if he would come and make some authentic "Dominican dish". This is what he made- Dominica's famous and favorite BROFF!



It is sort of like a stew that has dumplings, cabbage, plantains, bread fruit, sweet potatoes, and...


FISH!! Heads and all, nothing wasted here! 


There they are... one little, two little, three little fishhies...


Not going to lie, this was kind of wierd for me. 


Dominica Broff!


Pretty little plates all in a row!


Yes, I ate it! The vegetables, dumplings and fish were really good. 




Now onto the brains and eyes. Seriously, this is the best part... for some!



"I'll do it, if you do it?"



One, two, three... SUCK! (you have to suck the brains out of the fish skull). 


I think this picture best sums up how I felt about it! hahaha! And we're not done yet folks... 


Ready for round two... the EYES! For me this was pretty gross and slimy. Not my favorite. The taste really wasn't that bad, just weird. I am sure it is more mental than anything. But whatever, it was still weird.


But we did it!!! (Can you believe I really did that?)


Broc tried to act nonchalant like he had already eaten it. Don't worry we made him eat it too!


And that is Dominican Broff! A favorite to many Dominicans. 


Only in Dominica!


3 comments:

Katie Price said...

OMG Crystal!! I let out a squeal when I saw the first fish eye picture, and then it only got worse from there! I couldn't even look at the rest. ewww!

Unknown said...

I'm digging your posts, Crystal! I can only imagine the fish eyes!

Unknown said...

you are so amazing!!! I can't believe how awesomely you are immersing yourself in the experience :) Way to not let anything go to waste :)