4.05.2012

Dominica Moment: Is bigger better?

Last Tuesday my landlord was at our apartment complex doing their weekly cleaning. I came out and said hi. I had on a tighter shirt, and she looked at me and said while putting her hand on her belly, "Wow, you've put on some weight... ya, you have put on some weight." Not just once, but she said it TWICE! I was completely shocked and taken back a little- and not knowing what to say I just said, "huh" while nodding my head and had to walk back inside my house. What was I suppose to say... "Um, why thank you- I've been really working hard at that!"

Knowing that cultures are different here, I tried to not take it too much to heart. Although, how can you not when somebody is being bluntly honest?

Yesterday, I was walking out of my house. Jack was in the pack (covering my whole front side) and she tells me again, "You are really filling out!" What the heck? I couldn't hold it in this time and I said, "Where I come from that is not really considered a compliment. Is it a good thing here?" She replied, "to some it is, and others not so much, but I like curves!"

Again, trying to not starve myself but seriously? And NO, I am not pregnant, but in a way I wish that I was because I would actually have an excuse for a noticeable difference in my appearance! I have not felt that I was gaining weight (though I haven't stepped on a scale in I don't know how long) and my clothes still fit! Plus, to top it all off, the last couple of weeks I had been working out at the gym- (clearly the gym is over-rated)! And the gym was a first in like the whole time we have been here (seriously- don't judge). So obviously she wasn't meaning it rude by saying what she said, but how do I not take it personally even a little bit?  Don't get me wrong, I love curves and I am trying to love the little leftover pooch from C and J. But culturally, I know we see things differently. So is bigger better? Well it seems to be here! And I guess along with the most amazing things we have experienced here, it is inevitable for us to experience some crazy not so great ones as well. So here's to all of the great and not so great moments here in Dominica!

5 comments:

Ben and Courtney Hugo said...

Crystal this shocked me! And made me laugh! I love the warm words locals can be so willing to give (like constantly telling me that I'm not taking care of my child appropriately). For the record- you look amazing! Thin and beautiful and I'm totally shocked she even said that to you!

Jeanette Nielson said...

I agree with Courtney! I think you look great!! Those comments remind me of life in Thailand. One of the only/few things I don't enjoy there. I always felt fat there anyway, because American's are generally bigger than Thais, & so when it was mentioned that I had gained weight (& in Thailand they do go on & on about it too), I felt horrible. And yet, after many years of living there, I began to let it roll off my back somewhat. Good luck figuring out how to handle those fun compliments.... ;) You really do look gorgeous, I haven't noticed a single extra pound.

Love & miss you so much!

Clare said...

Crystal, for the record, I think you look great and was noticing the other day how slim and pretty you look! And how awesome that you have been working out, I think it's really hard to do. Don't worry about your dumb landlord :)

Lifes Great Adventures said...

You look great! You don't need a gym- you have two kids to chase around and lots of walking- so good for you to even have gone a few times to the gym. You look skinny to me- so keep smiling you are beautiful inside and out!

Lifes Great Adventures said...

Lifes Great adventures is me Destiny Spackman- since it just puts our blog name:)