4.17.2012

Finals Week: wondering if I will ever see my husband again

It's weeks like this where I find myself thinking of the good ol' days...  when I didn't get jealous of books.

And by books, I mean the ones that get to see Broc's face more than me! It is finals week yet again. This is a time when you will find most everybody within a mile radius of campus stressed to the max. Late nights, lack of sleep and too much time with the books is setting in. This is the week that every spouse (and I am sure every student) is wishing for this week to just to be over! Broc is about to finish up his second year of medical school (woot woot!) and the great thing about this finals week is that it is one of our last! There will be plenty more tests and stressful moments... but the book work, class going finals are coming to an end! Yahoo!!! Kind of an amazing feeling to get this far in the game, even though we still have lots and lots of years ahead of us.

Usually I get excited for finals to be over because that means, I get my husband back for a couple of weeks. This break isn't going to be like that. Broc takes the Comp at the end of this break. The Comp is usually the first week of fifth semester. It is a huge test that you have to take (and pass) before they will let you take the Step 1 Boards.

Though we will be visiting to St. Maarten for a few days, that is pretty much the only break that Broc will get. And the only time that I am planning to see him. Because he is planning to study just as much as he is now during the break! So stoked for that! haha - Now in all seriousness, Broc does a great job at being home when he comes home for dinner and making sure he gets his playtime in with the boys before bed! He is so great like that! And he always listens to me rattle off a million and one things about my day, when he comes home late after studying, even though it is 2 AM and he is probably so exhausted and tired. And then sometimes, he comes home and does all of the dishes. I know- isn't he the greatest!! I do appreciate those times and shouldn't complain... yet in all of this craziness, I have found myself longing for a time when I will see him again ... or just more. When we can go on a date and have time to just talk. Heck, I would even take him just being home after dinner and not having to go back and study!

After this break of studies, Broc begins his fifth semester of medical school. We are staying here in Dominica for fifth. Fifth semester is a few weeks shorter than the other semesters. So fifth semester ends the first part of August. We will be leaving the island August 8 and arriving in SLC on August 9. (I am definitely not ready to face the goodbyes yet.) And we will be in UT until we begin rotations- which we won't know where or when until after Broc has taken the STEP. I have heard that fifth semester is a little lighter load than semesters one through four, which is a good thing. But Broc is planning to study as much as he is now so that he can be ready to take STEP 1 by November. Which means, when we arrive in UT he will be hitting the books just like it's his full time job again. That test, called the STEP, determines which residency you get into. So it really is a pretty big deal- especially since the specialties he has been talking about are some of the hardest ones to get into. I love how hard working Broc is, and I love that he has a game plan to accomplish this. But I am beginning to wonder, if I will ever see my husband again. It seems that there is always a test to study for and a church calling to fulfill! So I recognize that despite all of this craziness of school, I am grateful that he cares enough to always make me feel appreciated and loved. He really is amazing and I know I shouldn't complain. But for right now, I just miss him being around. So here's to hoping for the day when we will see him more!

2 comments:

Chelsey said...

Oh Crystal, that must be hard to have him so busy! He really is a great example of a hard worker for your boys. We are excited to have you guys back in Utah in August. :)

Clare said...

We made it to fifth, yayyyy!!! Fun pics of you two :)