3.31.2012

Happy Conference Weekend

Conference Weekend! I get so excited every 6 months to listen to the prophet speak. There is something so powerful about the talks that are given that I feel that they are speaking right to me. I love the way I feel after I have watched General Conference. Being in Dominica, and watching Conference with the local members here has been amazing. They don't have the luxury of watching the Broadcast on TV or Internet in their own homes. Because of this, we are able to Broadcast it and come together as a Branch to watch it together. Today we watched it in a room on campus from 12-2pm and 4-6pm. It made for a long day and no naps for the kiddles, but they were champs. We had some peanut butter and jam sandwiches, bananas, cookies and popcorn for those who came. It wasn't Mom's homemade Conference orange rolls but it filled us up either way. Though it was difficult and frustrating waiting for our transport (that never showed) and trying to keep the kids entertained all day on campus, there was something powerful and uplifting from the talks that made it worth it. I loved it. I loved seeing my Portsmouth young women there taking notes and sharing their favorite quotes from the session. And for most of them this was their first time getting to watch Conference. Tonight I'm missing the Girl's Night with my MIL and SILs while the boys are at Priesthood session, Mom's AMAZING Conference orange rolls, Lesli's marshmallow popcorn and the Durrant family discussions about which talk was our favorite after Conference is over. I love the traditions we have made over the years to make Conference so memerable! Though we are miles and miles away from family and traditions I felt a piece of home as I watched Conference today! Tomorrow we will watch the Sunday sessions at the church. We will have soups and bread during the two hour break between sessions (for those who had to travel far). So for those of you who wonder what all of this is about you can watch it live via http://www.lds.org/general-conference/watch?lang=eng. It is so amazing! Happy Conference Weekend!

No comments: