12.29.2011

One Year Ago Today...

We made the trek to Dominica ... with a three year old and a very sick 5 month old and the bags on our back. It was a long crazy trip and the unknown of what we would encounter during our stay here was scary to think about. After realizing we forgot many important things (or seemed important to us at the time), we have survived. {Read the story here}. We were excited for a new adventure and came with no expectations.  We have loved our time here in Dominica. I have absolutely loved the experiences we have had. Though we came for medical school, the amazing experiences have far outweighed the hard times.


Some things have been really hard. Being a single mom of two while my husband is out studying from about 7:40AM to 2AM with short together times during lunch and dinner, attempting to figure out what meals to cook with what we have available, walking everywhere, grocery shopping and killing the bad guys by myself. However, these difficult things have been, they have given me a greater appreciation for the little things I really have taken for granted my whole life.



Ways my life has changed in the last year, while living here in Dominica: 
I stole this idea from my friend Kristen.

  • I keep everything! I don't throw away any jars- peanut butter jars, jam jars, spaghetti sauce jars, etc... seriously you just never know when you will need something like this. I totally feel like a hoarder but we just don't have places to buy whatever so we have to use what we have.
  • I have incorporated fish into our diet... It has become a staple at our table.
  • Crew has claimed on multiple occasions, "When I grow up I want to be a Dominican!"
  • I am a full time stay-at-home mom- (though I don't stay home very much)
  • I bag everything in a ziplock bags to keep it safe from ants. 
  • And put everything else in the fridge (chocolate, powdered sugar, flour)
  • I am a sweat rag everyday. Seriously, the days of make-up and getting ready are just a memory
  • I walk everywhere! 
  • I buy my fish fresh on the beach from the fisherman. 
  • I buy boxed un-pasturized milk... and feel like it's Christmas on the random times when they get "real" milk in... paying "$18 EC/ $7 US for a gallon of milk that expires the next day.
  • I have become a slayer of bugs. I still hate them but I have killed a few cockroaches and some other nasty creatures. 
  • I am a champ at killing mosquitos with my bare hands (sick I know but I will do whatever it takes to get rid of them)
  • I don't cringe when I see a lizard in my house ... because I know they will eat the nasty bugs.
  • I will say, "Come on kids come and get in the stroller"... in stead of "Come on kids come and get in the car."
  • Ants, ants are everywhere. Still haven't gotten used to those nasties everywhere. Looking down to find them crawling on me- ugh. Still hate them! 
  • Riding in a car without a seatbelt... not putting my kids in carseats.
  • Traveling in a bumpy transport/van for at least an hour and getting car sick just so I can go grocery shopping.
  • Not having everything at my fingertips has forced me given me the opportunity to create- recipes, wall decor, Christmas ornaments, stockings, gift wrap, etc...
  • Watching people cut their grass with a cutlass (machete) and not think twice.
  • New favorite past time: enjoying the Caribbean Coke (with real sugar) on the beach or at the pool.
  • I do all of my dishes by hand. 
  • Saying "ok alright" instead of "hey how's it going".
  • I walk everywhere!!!
  • Hot water is a luxury
  • We don't watch TV
  • Not thinking it's weird when I turn on the tap only to realize our water is shut off.
  • Hanging my laundry out to dry.
  • Showing up late and being on time.
  • I love Bob Marley! He was great prior to coming here but he now makes a weekly appearance on our ipod! 
  • I walk everywhere!
  • I can bartar with the best of them!
  • The fresh juice is one of my favorites!!! 
  • Getting up early on Saturdays just to go to the market to get the best fruits and veggies
  • Randomly looking down only to find ants crawling on me
  • Having what we call a "bug night".
  • Can't leave any food out or ants will come in the hoards... and any food left on the ground will result in cockroaches coming to help clean it up. 
  • Having it pour rain at any given moment 
  • I have a greater appreciation of having a car
  • I have no growth stats for Jack
  • I have a new found love for all things Rasta!
  • I make 3 loaves of bread and at least one batch of tortillas at least once a week
  • I feel like I have so much at a time in my life when I have never had so little. Seeing the way some people live and get by really has made me rethink my list of "needs" vs. "wants".
  • Recognizing the greatness of the simplicity of life. It has really been as I have been here nad not had much and been surrounded by a wonderful people with very little that I have recognized the greatness of living a simple life. Though I feel I still have a LOT to learn, I am loving these experiences. And the never ending lessons I am learning of living a more simple life.
I feel overall I have been changed for the better as I have been given a greater perspective on life. We have been humbled again and again and I know that I will be forever changed by this experience.

One year ago- on the craziest ride of our lives (literally!!! from the airport to our new home).


After a year of living in Dominica.

My babies have really grown up here. Jack only knows Dominica as his home and Crew has made his first memories here. We have made some incredible memories and learned and grown so much during our time here. It is crazy that in about a week an a half Broc will be starting his 4th semester of medical school. Which means, our time in Dominica is down to about 4 months. I am feeling like it is coming way too soon. Through the ups and downs of this last year I would never trade the experiences we have had for anything. I am excited to see what lies ahead for us in the year 2012. In the mean time, we will continue finding joy in our journey!

5 comments:

Jeanette Nielson said...

I'm so sorry that this didn't occur to me earlier tonight when we were Skyping. I love you so much & am so proud of you! You are awesome!!! Happy Dominican Anniversary!! <3 <3

Caskey Crew said...

I love this post! I miss you guys, but can't wait to see you in the Spring. Soak up some extra sun for me!

THE WILLIAMS FAMILY said...

Beautiful memories... captured forever.

Amanda said...

I love this list! Seeing how the rest of the world lives is priceless, and if we can only remember, we will see better how blessed we are for the rest of our lives! I love how positive you are. What a cool experience.

Katie said...

Reading your journey has been amazing! You are inspiring many around you and thank you for letting me get a glimpse of another life! Makes me more grateful for the things I have!!!