We have been using "Time- Out" as our form of discipline. Most of the time it works great, but I was forced to rethink our ways when I put him in time-out and he started laughing. As Broc and I talked about this we discussed that maybe we were focussing too much on the negative/discipline aspect instead of helping him have a desire to make a good choice.
We had been talking to Crew about "good choices" and "bad choices". I really wanted him to understand the importance of making a good choice. I wanted to use more positive reinforcement. So as I was thinking about it, I came up with the idea of the "Good Choice Chart".

Every time Crew makes a good choice, he gets to put a sticker on his chart!
(To make it, I used: 11x 14 card stock, random scraps of paper to make the title , then I just marked 1" marks and used a ruler to draw my lines, finally we took it to Office Max to be laminated which was only about $2. )I had Crew help me glue things on, so he felt that he helped make his chart!

Then, when he fills up a whole row... he gets to choose a prize out of the basket! (Books, coloring books, Cars cups, crayons and fruit snacks, bubbles, bubble bath, cars, etc). I found some really cute things for super cheap at Smiths. They had a ton of cute kids books for $2-3.

On Sunday he was the best (normally it is rare, because Sacrament is right during his lunch/nap time)! I told him if he sat quietly all through Sacrament, then he would get to put 2 stickers on his chart! He made some really good choices and in return got to put 2 stickers on his chart! We have still had to use time-outs, but it has not been nearly as much! Crew seems to be understanding a little better what some good and bad choices are. And he definitely is making more good choices than bad! I am so proud of him!




8 comments:
That is such a good idea! I'll have to steal it!
Wow, what an awesome idea. I am totally going to copy that :)
That is such a good idea! Will is too young right now, but I want to use that when he is older because I can see me having the same challenge. Will just laughs every time I say no. Thanks for the idea! Also, cute pictures!
I love the idea - thanks for sharing. I hope it works well.
As always your son in so adorable!! That is an excellent idea! I will have to keep that in mind for when I have kids in a few years!
What a great idea!!! I have been using Time-outs so much especially since Hannah was born and I think I need to try your idea!! Thank! You are an awesome mom!
brilliant!!
Crys - You are such an amazing mom!! Crew is definitely one lucky little boy! Darling idea!! <3
Post a Comment