9.08.2011

The Move: from 3 to 1

We just moved from a 3 bedroom apartment to a 1 bedroom apartment! Yep, all four of us piled into a 1 bedroom. It amazing the things you will do to save money! The move was unexpected and unwanted. We loved our place. We loved our neighbors. I loved knowing I could ask them for anything and they would do it (here's just one example). Crew loved his buddies. And I loved that he had friends to play with. Crew loved the yard. I did too! I loved being able to send him outside to get his wiggles out. I loved our family dinners with our neighbors. Jack loved the space to crawl around. I loved that we had a washing machine... well most of the time. We loved that we all had our own room. And we loved our landlord... But such is life- life living on student loans, that is.

Let me just preface with saying, moving sucks! Especially while trying to keep some little monkies from unpacking the boxes or luggage you have just packed! But I can't complain because it was over Broc's break so I had his help- unlike last time when I moved us from the downstairs apartment to the middle floor all by myself (and the help of Kristen)- in the middle of a semester! That was nuts. And I seriously would have never thought we would be moving again until we left Dominica. But things happen and here we are. 


THE DAY OF THE MOVE:
Our upstairs neighbors, Paul and Kristen invited us over for breakfast. Oh it was divine and so great that we didn't have a mess to clean up. On the menu: California Bennys on homemade bread, hash browns, avocados slices, orange juice, and homemade cinnamon rolls! I felt so spoiled! You know if Kristen makes it ... it is going to be good! Those guys are the greatest! I hate that we are leaving.

Here she is putting the finishing touches on those delicious numbers!



HEAVEN!



Seriously, like that wasn't the greatest breakfast in the world! Ready for round two... homemade cinnamon rolls! Ooey gooey goodness. And I am pretty sure I could have polished off that whole pan!




After that Crew played with his neighborhood buddies one last time. So sad. Crew would go outside in the mornings and yell, "friends... Friends... FRIENDS!" until some of the friends came out. Those guys had a riot together. This day in particular, it was so funny when all of the boys were playing ball and Crew realized that Gabriella wasn't there. So he stopped playing and had to go over to her house and get her. She was the first girl he called his "girl friend" (really I am not so sure he even knows what that means. But sweet nonetheless!)


I hate that we are taking him away from this life and these memories. Crew has loved it here in Dominica... and these guys are probably the reason why.




Jack on the other hand had to settle playing inside. Moving is no fun for anybody but especially when you look and feel like this. Jack got pink eye right before we moved. Poor thing. He looked so miserable.


But it didn't stop him from being his curious little self and climbing into our drawers to help pull things out- or put things in! What a good helper! hahaha



He discovered his tub as we were trying to pack things in it. Good thing he did, because it kept him entertained/ contained him for quite a while.






Going through our kitchen cupboards was the part I was dreading. Not because it wasn't organized, but because I was terrified of what kind of creatures I was going to find. Our cupboards were really tall and deep. There wasn't a lot of them, so we had to make do with the space we had. And that meant there was boxes of food pushed all the way to the back of the cupboards. This was a job I saved for Broc.



So gross when you pull out a box that had your food in it only to find creeper hanging out. And these guys were all over the place. Just after we would kill about ten of them we would still find more. Never figured out how to keep them out of our house!



Or these nasty things. (See bottom right). We had a lot of things (most things) in plastic ziplocks to help prevent ants and other nasties from trying to dominate our food. These suckers had chewed little holes in our bags and in the corners of boxes. Unfortunately, we had to throw quite a bit of food away because these guys had chewed holes in the bags and we found some bugs in our food. GROSS!


The holes those little monsters had chewed. Good thing we bagged everything right?!


And multiple dead cockroaches under the kitchen sink. 



We weren't actually able to move our stuff over until 8pm. The transportation we had arranged to help us move fell through last minute. So we were scrambling trying to find someone to help us out - someone with a van/truck. Our new landlords saved the day. They were able to help but could only do it an hour earlier than planned. So we were trying to hurry to get everything ready to move before they came with their truck. It was a bit crazy.







1 of 2 truck loads!




We finally got everything inside and wondered if we were out of our minds moving into a 1 bedroom place! No turning back now I guess.



We finally are settled in. Things are organized as best as they can be, the bedroom still needs some help finding the best way to organize our things with the limited space. And we still need to hang a few more pictures and attempt to add some color. But we are adjusting. Jack has been up a ton at night- not sure if it is the adjustment to all of us in the same room or a different environment or what. But obviously since all of us are in the same room, and one is awake... we are all awake! Hopefully Jack starts sleeping better SOON! A post with pictures of our new home will be up next!

4 comments:

Norm and Cassi Beatty said...

I promise, one day you will look back and laugh at all this craziness...one day

Unknown said...

Holy cow!! I love the pictures of your adorable boys!! And you new place looks really cute :)

Joni and Rico Adams said...

Ugh I hate moving! But those cinnamon rolls sure cheered you up eh? I know I'm drooling from that picture. The bugs! Crystal I don't know how you deal with the bugs I would be paranoid all the time about some creepy crawly on me.

Nielson Family said...

Oh believe me, I completely understand the pain of moving. Let's see, in 18 years we are up to 16 times. Unreal, I know. One more move next summer, hopefully into a house of our own, & then we can stay put...unless we have a chance to move back to Thailand again. Then I will be up for it.

I love the white cabinets in your new place!! I know it will be hard without the extra space, but you always find a way, with your great attitude, to make things work.

I love you & hope that you are enjoying the remainder of your time in Dominica. The next 9 months will go by so fast! I love you & appreciate your example. Miss you tons! xoxox