8.28.2011

Some kids ask for candy, mine asks for...

We were at IGA (the main grocery store around these parts) trying to find something we could make for dinner. {Why didn't I take a list for what I had planned to make for dinner- well I did, but it's not like in America where they have everything you could ever want on the shelves- sometimes they have some things... and usually they don't... and sometimes you stike gold if you find everything you want at the same store the same day- I don't think that has ever happened but I guess I am still hopefull! And sometimes, well- most of the time, you are stuck trying to pull out recipes from your brain and searching for something that could work with what you have available!} We were walking down an isle when Crew excitedly says, "Mom! Can we please get this?!!!... it has LIMA BEANS!!- pleeease?" And then handed me this can of mixed veggies! 


I still don't know how he even knows what a real lima bean looks like- because I never cook with them. Crew is hilarious and this was a classic Crew moment! He has a very keen love for his vegetables- always has and I hope always will. He still asks for a bite or two of Jack's baby food veggies when I am feeding Jack. For breakfast one morning, he came to me and said, "Mom, I am going to choose between Golden Puffs or Sweet Potatoes for breakfast... I think I will choose - SWEET POTATOES!" (the pureed Gerber kind). How do I say no when he asks for them for breakfast? So that is what he had, sweet potatoes for breakfast!

The obsession with lima beans on the other hand, I have to atribute to the story Bad Case of the Stripes By David Shannon- (Super cute story about a girl who secretly likes lima beans but doesn't dare admit it because everybody else hates them. She ends up getting a 'bad case of the stripes'... and well I guess you will just have to read it to find out what happens next! I think it is a great story... "but don't take my word for it!"- dun un da! Totally felt like Levar Burton on Reading Rainbow!! hahaha! 

But for real, I love the story line! I love books with a good hidden message behind them that can lead to an epic teaching moment! Some kids ask for candy, mine asks for a can of mixed vegetables - with LIMA BEANS! 

4 comments:

Jared and Jessica said...

haha love this story! totally thought of reading rainbow too :)

Unknown said...

oh my goodness too cute!!!

Katie Price said...

Crew is too funny, and you are a good momma! I always read A Bad Case of Stripes to my kids at school, even 4th graders love that story.

Anonymous said...

That can of vegetables remind me of my childhood.