7.28.2010

Jack's first week

The first week was a bit of an emotional roller coaster for me: pretending that I feel great while trying to figure out life with two kids (the hardest part of having two kids is that sometimes you have to let one cry), making sure Crew knows he is loved even though I can't hold him when he wants me to, getting settled into a new place, adjusting to living in a small town where the only grocery store closes at 10 pm and having a 30 minute drive there and back if you run out of anything after 10pm (I did grow up here, but have been spoiled living so close to everything for the last 9 years), and trying to remember how to take care of a brand new baby who seems to be a whole lot different than Crew. Let's just say it was a hard transition... I cried everyday.


Jack 2 days old


4 days old



To make the week a bit more exciting... We brought Jack home on Friday night. They told us to get his bilirubin checked in 2 days. So we took him down to the closest hospital (30 minutes away) on Sunday to get checked. Amidst all of the difficult transitions, we had just got home and received a phone call that his bili levels were too high and he would need to be on bili lights constantly except for feedings and diaper changes. I started bawling thinking all I want to do is hold my new baby and I have to put him flat on these lights 24/7. He had been spitting up quite a bit in the hospital almost every time he ate. Right after he was born they drew up about 12 mL of fluid off of his lungs which they attribute to him spitting so much. The nurses told us to elevate him when he sleeps to reduce his spitting. And now, we have to lay him naked (he can't be swaddled), flat on his back all the time. Such a hard thing to do to your brand new angel only 4 days old.

And yes he spit up almost every time we laid him down. He hated it! I hated it! He cried and I cried! In the bed is just a bunting thing that has two sleeves for his arms and a bag for his legs. Since we couldn't swaddle him I tried to wrap a blanket around the bed to hold him tight. Not super effective but I think it was better than nothing.

I had to drive him down to the hospital (30 min. away) every day to have them poke his heel to check his levels. This boy went through so much his first week of life.


I love this face!


4 days old

5 days old


Finally, when he was about 6 days old, his levels were down enough that we could take him off of the lights! And I could finally snuggle my little babe!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We had to put Jackson on the bili bed and he got pricked a lot that first week. I cried, too! Yeah for no more bed!

Mandy said...

Oh Crystal...I am so sorry you had to go through that...NO FUN!! and you are right..adjusting to 2 kids is really hard!!!

Amber said...

So glad you are able to cuddle your little guy. He's perfect! And those hospital pictures are amazing! We've never had anyone take ones like that. So cute!