Eight blissful years of amazing memories, hard trials, eight moves, questioning which road we needed to take, wondering of how things would end up, adding one kiddo to our family, wondering why we weren't getting into medical schools (after trying for 3 years in a row), feelings of disappointment and frustration, attempting to rely on faith to help us through what seemed like one of the hardest times I have ever experienced, questioning how we were going to provide for our family, moving in with the parents (yes- we really did), adding another kiddo to our family, then doing the unthinkable and packing our family of four (including a 3 year old and a 5 month old) and moving to a third world country... and of course laughing and smiling throughout all of it! It wasn't until Saturday when we were called in to meet with the Mission President that I began to see a glimpse at the missing pieces of our puzzle of life. Though we have had some amazing experiences here in Dominica, it was truly on that day {1.21.2012 at around 9PM} that my prayers from the previous years, were answered. I knew why we had been rejected by so many medical schools. I felt the Lord's hand in our life- giving us direction and leading us here, as crazy as it seemed. I knew why we were here. Though we still find ourselves asking where we will end up, where to go next, and what Broc wants to be (specifically) when he grows up. For a breif moment, I caught a glimpse that right now, we are where we need to be, in terms greater than just for medical school.
I learned one of the greatest lessons that day. That the Lord has a plan for each of us. We have a loving Heavenly Father who hears our each and every prayer, as small as it may seem, and answers them ... in His time. I can't even begin to say what a roller coaster of emotions I have felt over the last three days. And to think that I was expecting after this weekend to get my husband back, sitting with me and helping me tackle the boys during sacrament meeting! Ha. (He has been serving as the 1st councilor in the Branch Presidency for the last seven months). My initial thoughts of - I barely see him as it is, school is so demanding, how will he be able to keep up his grades and will we ever see him again? - were almost immediately diminished as we met with President Alvarado. I felt comfort and peace. Weird, right? I mean someone just told me that my husband just got called to be over the whole church of this island and I am feeling at peace? I know it doesn't make sense. But I do know this, that I have felt something stronger than I ever have before. I know that God is aware of each of us. I am grateful for the happiness that this gospel brings to my life. I have already began to feel our family growing stronger.
Broc was sustained and set apart as Branch President on 1.22.2012. We have made it a tradition to go to the temple each year on our anniversary. But since there are no temples close by, we got to celebrate our eight amazing years at church... sitting across from each other. Ironic. This will be an anniversary that will never be forgotten.
My heart feels full. I can't imagine anyone else by my side (or across from me :). And I love that no matter how many sacrament meetings we spend sitting apart we have the rest of eternity together. When I say the gospel bring true happiness I mean, it with all sincerity of my heart. This is where it all began. Being sealed for time... and all eternity... to my very best friend. Happy Anniversary Babe!
~Choonie Forever~

7 comments:
so perfectly written. i remember feeling those same calming feelings on the island.
Yay happy Anniversary! Now wait, Broc is the branch president?! Holy cow could he have any more on his plate? I think not. And how are you holding up lady? Can I tell you a story-here goes: My dad was in the midst of getting his masters degree, worked full time as a police officer, had 2 young children and was only 25 when he got called to be the bishop. My mom cried but they were so blessed. Isn't it funny how you think you couldn't possibly do any more and then you get a life changing calling. Wow. You guys are amazing :)
Broc is going to be one amazing Branch President!
I sort of know what you mean by having your husband sitting across from you at Church. Ever since I was a kid that's where my dad has been, but our family was always blessed by the mantle that was/is placed on him for his calling.
You guys are awesome, I love reading your blog.
Amazing! Im not surprised at Broc's new calling. You are both made of something so wonderful, unique and very special. You have incredible things in store for your family. I LOVE the two of you together. I love reading about your love and friendship with one another. It is inspiring. Happy Anniversary!
Holy cow what a wonderful blessing and challenge :) The Lord really is so mindful of each of us! Thanks for the reminder :) And Happy Anniversary!!!
I totally get how you feel. There was just something about Sunday, the feeling there I will never forget. I'm thankful that our family is part of the branch and part of this wonderful journey.
I am so happy for you both. I do know that peace that you are feeling. I recently felt it very strong in my life. Thanks for the post. I love reading about your experinces.
Post a Comment