11.21.2012

Feeling a little anxious!


Well, I have done a horrible job at updating this thing since we have been back. There are a few reasons for that. The big question that everyone is asking since we have been back is, "What is next?" A part of me hasn't really wanted to post anything until we knew exactly what that next step was. Over the last couple of months, Broc has had a full time job studying for a test called STEP 1. It is the first step of the boards. Basically, in this test, he could be tested on all of the bookwork he has learned in medical school. An 8 hour test, my friends!!! Which is why he has locked himself in the office, and has studied his brains out for hours at a time only to take necessary bathroom and food breaks. This huge test only determines the rest of our lives!! To be exact, it really determines what residency he will be able to get into. Huge weighted test! I have to say, I am so proud of him for his hard work, determination and dedication. But I am not going to lie to you, we (me, Crew and Jack) cannot wait to have him back! And to put this stressful test behind us!

This is the only picture I have of Broc in his lair. But you can get the picture of his set up. This was when Crew had to dress up for school dressed as what he wanted to be when he grew up. He said he wanted to be a doctor, just like my dad! Broc let him wear his white coat and let him take his stethoscope and pen light. Crew was in heaven! Oh he adores him!


So really what is next? We don't know. What we do know is sometime after the first of the year we will be making a move cross country to some mysterious place for Broc to do his clinical rotations (not residency). We won't know where that will be until he gets his STEP 1 score (sometime in December). So until then, we will be waiting...

Broc was up at 5:30 this morning to get ready to go to Salt Lake to take this test. Broc began the eight hour madness about 30 minutes ago. There is something about test days, especially tests that hold so much weight, that just make me anxious. I feel helpless and I can't relax until the test is over. This, by far, is the worst part of medical school. Broc is a rock! So calm and collected. While me on the other hand, get a little overwhelmed with all of this. Good thing he is the one taking the test!

Broc will be able to take a little break during the exam, so I packed him some snacks. He didn't think there would be a refrigerator or microwave so really snacks was all he got, along with a few other things that aren't in the pic. I tried to spruce them up with some good, positive thoughts!



And my personal favorite! Who doesn't smile when they see Richard Simmons? haha


 Ready to head out the door... ready or not!  

Though he has taken a few practice tests,
I don't know if you could ever fully feel prepared and ready for a test like this.



And he's off! As much sleep as I didn't get last night (poor little Jack has had some rough nights), I couldn't go back to sleep after he left. And I will probably feel this anxious feeling until he is home. He left in the dark... he'll get home in the dark.


Babe, I know you can do it! I have watched you set goals, achieve them, and then set higher goals. You are one of the hardest workers that I know. I am so grateful for you and all that you sacrifice for our family. We are so lucky to have you! We are your biggest fans! Know that we will be cheering you on the entire way! Love you~


No comments: